SOUTHERN MINNESOTA POETS SOCIETY BYLAWS
Adopted May, 2002
1. NAME. The name of this organization shall be Southern Minnesota Poets Society.
2. PURPOSE. The purpose of this organization shall be to promote the writing and reading of poetry.
3. MEMBERS. Members shall be:
- associate members – those who enjoy poetry but are non-writers;
- writing members – those who write or
- student members – those who are still in secondary school.
Writing members shall vote and hold office; associate and student members may not.
The association shall not discriminate against prospective members on any basis, including (but not limited to) race, gender, age or writing style. Individuals shall become members by paying annual dues of $15.00 for adults or $7.50 for student members. The Executive Board may confer honorary membership on any individuals, with such voting rights as the Board determines and shall also determine when a member is no longer in good standing.
4. MEETINGS. Meetings shall be held on the 2nd Saturday of each month unless otherwise scheduled by the Board. Other meetings may be called at any time by the President, Board, or upon written request of 10% of the membership.
5. EXECUTIVE BOARD. The Executive Board shall consist of all officers of the organization. The Executive Board shall meet from time to time, as designated by the board, to transact any business of the organization as necessary, such as preparing budgets, slates of officers, programs and other recommendations to the general membership. No Board member shall have any financial interest in any transactions before the board, unless fully disclosed and the Board approves of such transaction as in good faith and in the best interests of the organization.
6. OFFICERS. The officers of this organization shall be a President; Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and such other officers as the Executive Board shall designate. Said officers shall be elected for a term of 2 years. Elections shall take place at the annual meetings. The same person may hold more than one office at the same time, except the offices of President and any other office.
7. CHAPTER AFFILIATION WITH LOMP. A majority of the members of this organization shall also be members of the State organization of the League of Minnesota Poets. The membership shall elect a Regional Vice President to serve on the LOMP Board, and report back to the chapter with LOMP activities.
8. APPOINTMENTS. The Executive Board shall appoint such appointees and designate such duties as are necessary to carry out the activities of the organization, including, but not limited to, historians, corresponding secretaries, newletter editors and contest chairs. The Board shall designate their term of office and whether or not they sit on the Executive Board.
9. ACTIONS BY THE MEMBERSHIP. There shall be an annual meeting, as such time and place as designated by the Board. The meeting shall be announced at least two weeks in advance of the meeting. At the annual meeting there will be elections, budget setting and any other business necessary to assure the existence of the organization. The entire membership shall be entitled to vote for all officers, and any changes to bylaws. All moneys collected by said organization shall only be expended in manners that meet the purposes of this organization, and no officer or agent of this organization shall have any power to borrow money on its behalf, to pledge its credit or property exxcept to the extent authorized by the membership, with recommendation from the Executive Board.
10. RULES OF ORDER. All meetings of the members and the Executive Boardshall be conducted pursuant to Robert’s Rules of Order.